Tile floors are one of the most widely used flooring types in a home or office space. Compared to other types of flooring, tiles are easier to clean and maintain. Low-maintenance and highly versatile, tiles can last you a long time — but only if you do your part in keeping them squeaky clean and dirt-free. So how to clean tile floors? In this article, we’ll show you the different ways to clean tiles of different types — from slate tile and marble tile to granite tile and linoleum tile.
Cleaning Ceramic and Porcelain Tile Floors
- Clean away any loose debris - Before diving into the actual cleaning, eliminate any dirt or dust particles by sweeping or vacuuming them off the tile flooring.
- Mop the surface thoroughly - Clean the tile floor with a mild detergent and clean water solution. Instead of using a rag or a sponge mop, look for a floor mop or a chamois mop to scrub the entire surface off. Make sure to change the water and wring the mop of any excess water while doing the cleaning.
- Remove stains from the surface - Get rid of stains from the tile floor by using an appropriate cleaning solution such as an all-purpose cleaner or a mild detergent soap. Refrain from using abrasive and powerful chemical cleaning solutions to avoid discoloration and damage.
- Eliminate any soap residue - After you’re done cleaning and mopping the surface but can still see hazy specks of foam lying around, you might be dealing with soapy residue. To remove these particles from the tiles, use an all-purpose cleaner and rinse the entire surface with clean and warm water.
- Dry the tiles properly - For a more effective way of drying the tiles, wipe the whole surface with a clean and lint-free cloth after you’re done rinsing. Avoid doing an air-dry as sitting water can result in more soapy spots on the surface.
Cleaning Floor Stone Tiles
- Slate Tiles - Clean slate tiles by using a mild detergent solution that’s free of any acidic properties. Yes, these acidic properties also include ingredients considered all-natural such as lemon or vinegar. For coated slate floors, make sure to avoid water spots from forming by drying the tile surface right away with a clean and soft cloth.
- Marble Tiles - While marble tiles are very pretty to look at, they can also be high-maintenance. For starters, it’s important that you avoid cleaning floors with anything that has an acidic pH level. This includes cleaning ingredients such as lemon or vinegar. Stick to gentle a tile cleaner and apply them by using soft-bristled brushes and soft cloth and towels.
- Granite Tiles - Just like slate and marble tiles, granite tile flooring also require a cleaning solution that is pH-neutral. Using a harsh cleaning solution can pose a big problem as it can leave the floor with streaks and spotty discoloration marks. Apart from cleaning the tiles with gentle cleaning solutions, it also needs some buffing and polishing to keep it looking shiny and clean.
Cleaning Other Tile Floors
- Vinyl Tiles - This type of tile flooring is easy to clean and maintain. Simply eliminate dirt by sweeping or vacuuming the surface and mopping it with a cleaning solution afterwards. These liquid cleaners can range from water to all-natural acid elements such as vinegar or lemon. Use soft mops, cloths and towels to wipe and dry the whole thing.
- Linoleum Tiles - Apart from sweeping or vacuuming, linoleum tiles require specific cleaning requirements. Wash the entire surface with a linoleum cleaning solution or a Borax detergent mixed with water. Rinse the tile floors afterwards and leave them to dry. To add extra protection to the flooring, it’s recommended to wax and shine it every 3 to 6 months.
- Cork Tiles - If the cork surface is sealed with polyurethane, use a mixture of water, mild detergent or white vinegar. For unfinished or waxed cork surfaces, simply follow the standard cleaning procedure for polyurethane and apply wax once it dries.
Keeping Your Tile Floors Neat and Shiny
Cleaning and maintaining tile flooring is an easy process that takes a short amount of your time. However, if you’re looking for an easier and faster way of cleaning them, contact us here at Luce Maintenance Group for our affordable tile & grout cleaning services! From home to office floors, our team of professional cleaners are here to bring your tiles some extra sparkle and shine.